Sunday, April 1, 2012

Slowing Down, Breastfeeding, and Redeeming the Time

This chair has become my best friend...

This old Ikea chair is a symbol of peace and a place of rest where I meet with God while I'm feeding Bruce. There is nothing special about it, save that it was a free Ikea hand-me-down from my parents and had wonderful rocking potential.  I tried dying the stained and faded fabric on the chair several months back and the color came out a terrible shade of teal. It was all wrong - so I bought some cheap material from Joann's and threw it over the chair. But I digress. This chair reminds me that life has slowed quite a bit, and with the change in seasons I can either become idle in my constant sitting, or I can enjoy and redeem the time of stillness.

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of [redeeming] the time, because the days are evil" (Ephesians 5:15-16, ESV). The apostle Paul encourages his readers to be wise about the way they spend their time, warning them that the days are evil. J.C. Ryle, in his book The Duties of Parents, addresses the subject of redeeming the time. "An idle mind is like an open door, and if Satan does not enter in himself by it, it is certain he will throw in something to raise bad thoughts in our souls...We must have our hands filled, and our minds occupied with something, or else our imaginations will soon ferment and breed mischief."

I am encouraged and convicted by the verse in Ephesians, and Ryle raises an excellent point that an idle mind is an unguarded mind, giving Satan room for attack. This chair is the place where I spend 25% of my day. Feeding a hungry baby 8-9 times every day quickly adds up to several hours - six hours, to be exact! Therefore, I must fight to keep my mind occupied during this time of stillness.  But, oh what a blessing and sweet answer to prayer this has been. 

I've been praying over the last several months that God would make me a woman of prayer and that He would help my spirit to quiet and slow down in the midst of a busy schedule.  Much to my surprise, our sweet little Bruce is the answer to both of these prayers. While my schedule is full  due to breastfeeding every 2.5 to 3 hours, this time is an opportunity to 'make the best use of the time'.  I have a nursing basket that sits next to me and it includes several items that help in my endeavor.

\

Nursing basket contents:
1. Bible
2. Journal
3. Magazines
5. Notepad 
4. Current reading book - Family Shepherds by Voddie Baucham
5. Water
6. Pens, Chapstick, Lotion

Bruce: "Mom, enough with all the pictures while I'm trying to sleep!"
This season of slowness will speed up soon enough, especially once I'm chasing a mischievous toddler around the house. When life does speed up, I hope that I'll carry these lessons God is teaching me now into the busier stages of life: make the best use of the time because the days are evil, never leave your mind an open door,  have a restful heart and a quiet spirit in the midst of a full schedule. Achieving any of this is impossible without Jesus. But read His promise in the Scriptures: "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30, ESV).

2 comments: