Thursday, February 27, 2014

Almost There!

Friends and Family:

This is Zach again.

I am writing on the bed of our hotel room in Johannesburg around 9:30 PM South African Time.  Kait just fed Wyatt and is now reading a book to Bruce. To catch everyone up, the flight to Atlanta went well. Once we got to Atlanta, we were not scheduled to have a sky cot (only available on a few seats on the plane) for Wyatt to sleep in overnight, but one seat became available at the last minute. For a majority of the 15 hour plane ride, I was in row 44 with Wyatt (with the exception of feedings) and Kait was with Bruce in row 54. 

There were so many evidences of God's grace through the flight and afterwards. 1) The lady sitting next to Bruce was a grandmother of 4 and was also a Christian. She played with Bruce a lot and helped Kait with the Bruce-man. 2) We received a sky cot at the last minute (which also meant more leg room for me!). 3) The boys cried/whined minimally. 4) The people at Johannesburg airport were very nice and helped us with transporting our luggage (3 carts worth!). 5) The two gentlemen sitting next to me were very nice (one is going to be a bishop within the African Methodist Episcopal Church and the other was very knowledgeable about random conspiracy theories on why Bible and Jesus are not true/real - good talks!).

Some early beginner-Africa observations: 1) $20 USD (approx. 200 rand) is wayyy too much to tip people for helping with luggage! I learned this the hard way, but I am grateful that I could support the South Africa Airport random people looking to help (just this once though). 2) People drive on the wrong side of the road. 3) Make sure that you bring a working phone or have access to one when a cab driver drops you off at the casino so you can exchange USD for South African Rands. I felt very vulnerable when I had to wait for 40 minutes for the cab driver to pick me up!

We are leaving the hotel around 8 AM tomorrow morning for our flight at 11 AM. We look forward to seeing the Whitlock family!

9:50 PM Update: Bruce just pooped on the hotel room floor (I will spare all of you and not post a picture). It is potty-training time!

In Christ,
Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment